Monday, January 11, 2010

The Lightning Seeds - Sense

YOURZ

I have vague recollections of this band for some reason I can’t figure out. Listening to this album didn’t help. It kind of sounds like a Pet Shop Boys rip-off but I might be wrong. It certainly sounds like nothing I would pay money for even though I have brought some absolute crap in the past.

I’m hoping Mine thinks the same way.

VERDICT: THROW IT OUT


MINE

It's funny, but I haven't listened to this album all the way through for ages. And while the title track always makes me smile and sing along, by the time I got to A Cool Place I was thinking how this could be just another generic late 80's-early 90's British indie-pop band (think Prefab Sprout, XTC, Teenage Fanclub).

In fact the whole album's a bit same-y. Not to say that it's bad, but it made me realise why I've taken my favourite songs and put them on my iPod. Because I don't really need all of them. Mind you, although Blowing Bubbles isn't one of the songs I've iPodded, it'll always make me smile, because of its status as "The Michael Jackson song" in a previous relationship I had. (Get it? Oh boy, I've made some enemies there.)

I must admit I haven't bought any more of the band's work - although I've been tempted by Jollification and I'm very fond of their football song Three Lions.

Anyway, I've been wondering why I've hung on to this album for so long, and now I know. I've been waiting for the invention of the iPod! Objective achieved.

VERDICT: THROW IT OUT

For more information: http://www.thelightningseeds.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment