Monday, January 18, 2010

Sugar Ray - Floored


MINE

Oh, that Sugar Ray.  OK, I remember now.  But I've never listened to this album before and I'm sure everyone who bought Floored because of the hit single Fly would have been scratching their heads as much as I did.  I mean, it's mostly shouty boy music.  Kinda Rage Against the Machine-ish.

It reminds me of the furore raised by No Doubt when Don't Speak was so mega for them.  I remember one work mate saying she threw their album Tragic Kingdom out because none of the other songs "were anywhere near as good and they were all too loud".

On Floored the only other song I recognise is RPM with its catchy refrain "I will let you down".  Their version of Adam and the Ants' Stand and Deliver really didn't ... deliver anything new, and most of the other songs gave me a headache.  So, a whole album for two songs?  My reaction's predictable.

VERDICT: THROW IT OUT

YOURZ

I mentioned previously I used to write for a music publication, doing reviews, interviews and such.  This album was one of those I received to review.  Again, my dodgy memory being what it is, I don't remember what sort of review I gave it but I do recall being intrigued by the fact they had a DJ in the band (this was the late 90s).  These days, this is nothing unusal.  But then, the combination of rock guitars and scratches was new and kind of exciting.

But this in no way makes Sugar Ray or Floored trend setters.  For the most part, the album merely shows the band's template copies of the different alternative styles being played by better bands in their home state of California at the time.  With scratches. 

Then there's the song Fly.  It stands out because it's so very different from the rest of the songs on the album.  This song is a very obvious ripoff of the sound of another California band, Sublime, who fairly patented this kind of cruisy, dubby, summery sound.  Given this album came out not long after the tragic death of the lead singer of Sublime, Brad Nowell, I can't help but view the song, and Sugar Ray, with cynicism and contempt.

Oh yeah, the less said about 'Stand and Deliver', the better.  As Mine said, it fails to deliver, on any level.  Why this album has remained in the collection is anyone's guess.  Any takers?

VERDICT: THROW IT OUT

For more information: http://www.sugarray.com/

2 comments:

  1. I read of one paid music reviewer giving this a bad review during the first day of her job and losing her job due to her brutal honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, I replied to this but somehow, it disappeared into the ether... I used to review bands many years ago. After I gave a local band a serve, I copped one as well. Some people just can't take criticism.

    ReplyDelete