Friday, March 26, 2010

Fun Lovin' Criminals - Come Find Yourself

YOURZ

There is one reason this is in our collection (actually there's more than one but I don't want to bore you, dear reader).  The main reason is the same reason we have a lot of the music we do - because it's fun and doesn't take itself seriously (okay, that's two reasons, if you want to be pedantic).

Come Find Yourself isn't ground-breaking or innovative.  But it came out at a time when a lot of the hip hop being produced took itself far too seriously - so this was never really recognised as much more than a novelty (mostly because of their lead single, Scooby Snacks).  FLC, as they're affectionately known, were never a big success in their own country, more's the pity.  If any part of the music industry could do with some definite cheering up, it's hip hop.

Listening back to this is like getting a visit from an old friend - it's great to catch up and spend some time, but you both know it'll probably be a while before you'll catch up again.  And sometimes, this is the way it's meant to be.

VERDICT: TURN IT UP, have a few tokes and catch up on good old times


MINE

An album on the pop- and trip- side of hip-hop, Come Find Yourself has some great moments - and most are concerned with illegal activities.  My three favourite songs are King of New York - which is about mobster John Gotti - Bombin' The L - which is about graffiti on New York's L Train - and of course Scooby Snacks.  Can't beat that chorus - Runnin' around robbin' banks/ all whacked on Scooby Snacks!

I was horrified to find this album's more than 15 years old.  How old does that make me feel?  O-L-D. (YourZ sez: ooo, you poor old thing.  I'm only as young as the girl I'm feeling... erm, no wait, I mean...  At least she's still cute)  I love this band for the melodies they use (often sadly missing in hip-hop), for the fun choruses and intelligent lyrics, for using big guitar riffs along with the loops and samples, and I guess most of all for making me feel like I've had a slice of the Big Apple right here in my car today.  Love it.

VERDICT: TURN IT UP


For more information: http://funlovincriminals.tv/

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reviewing this. I needed a reminder to listen to it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our pleasure, Chris, glad to be of service. We needed to be reminded too.

    YourZ

    ReplyDelete