Monday, March 8, 2010

Gomez - In Our Gun


YOURZ


There is a great anonymous quote that goes "music is what feelings sound like."  But I think there is more to it.

Some music is great to listen to and admire.  It gives the listener an emotional snapshot of the writer's feelings at the time.  Some music stirs up the creativity in listener, filling them up until they have to create too.  Some music does both.

For me, Gomez is one such band.  I've seen them live more than any other single band in my life.  In fact, it is almost weird not to see them at least once a year.  Their gigs are always brilliant not only because of the show they put on but because of their fans as they really attract the nicest people (even if I do say so myself).

In Our Gun, more than any other album of theirs, is the one I go back to time and again.  It is nearly perfect (and I love its imperfections too).

Mine and YourZ (truly) were talking recently, playing hypotheticals.  This one was 'if you could be in any band from any time, what band would you be in?'  I unhesitatingly said Gomez before I even thought about it.

Do I really need to say any more?  I'll let Mine do the gushing this time.

VERDICT: TURN IT UP


MINE

How do I love thee, Gomez?  Let me count the ways.

I love that this is a band I actually introduced YourZ to, though I only had a home made copy of Liquid Skin (on MiniDisc, remember that?) after I'd borrowed it from a friend.

I love that it really doesn't matter which of your albums we put on, we have a groove going right away. Although this one is a corker, no doubt about that, including Shot Shot and Ping One Down (always a crowd favourite at the gigs).

I love that your best-ofs are real party starters, especially Get Myself Arrested.  (Got some friends in a BMW...)

I love that your gigs always feel like it's great party we've wandered into because the crowd is just another bunch of mixed-age mixed-background hipsters out to have some fun.

I love that you always have truly excellent backing acts supporting you, which prompt us to go out and buy their music - most notably Nations By The River featuring the sublime Luke Steele (of whom more, later). That was that great gig I managed to score record company tickets to because I'd forgotten to buy real ones and you were sold out and I was working at the radio station and the programming department was right next to the newsroom and they told me they could help me out...  saved my ass that time and no mistake.

But most of all I just love your music.

VERDICT: TURN IT UP


For more information:http://www.gomeztheband.com/

In our collection, we also have: Bring It On, Liquid Skin, Out West, Abandoned Shopping Trolley Hotline, How We Operate, Split The Difference, A New Tide and Five Men In A Hut (I guess you could say we like them, huh?)

No comments:

Post a Comment