Wednesday, April 21, 2010

New Radicals - Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too

YOURZ

Talk about being late to the party.  This American band (well, one main guy and a swag of studio musicians) come across like a British soul act from ten years earlier.  The only reason I know the single, You Get What You Give, is because is was used in a Mitsubishi car ad run here in Australia.  But even then, this song doesn't save the album from being a bit too bleached for my liking.

Apparently this same song was everywhere at one point in the late 90s but I don't remember hearing it back then.  Truth be known, I probably heard it and ignored it.  Like I'm pretty much doing now.

VERDICT: THROW IT OUT


MINE

OK, I have to admit to buying this album, simply because I liked You Get What You Give which was huge all over the place.  And I absolutely adored the not-so-well-known second single, Someday We'll Know.  Best. Break-up Song. Ever. "I'm speeding by the place that I met you/ For the 97th time ... tonight"

In fact I have to apologise to my neighbours in - 2000 was it?  When this song was on repeat, on my stereo, for hours on end.  Sorry about that.  Despite the fact the guy behind the band, Gregg Alexander, went on to write hit after hit for various other artists, this album has a very definite use-by date.

VERDICT: THROW IT OUT



No comments:

Post a Comment