Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Blondie - Blondie

YOURZ

The first encounter I can remember having with Blondie was via the video for the track Heart Of Glass, which was absolutely everywhere in the late 70s.  Like a lot of lads at the time, I lusted for Deborah Harry, who was cool, sexy and way out of our league. 

Blondie is the eponymous debut from the band and obviously shows the beginnings of what became a stellar career, albeit one defined where Ms Harry and the Blondie name became entwined to the point where many thought she was Blondie and led to merchandise being issued by the band, in the form of a button, stating 'Blondie Is A Band'.  As a debut it clearly shows the band's penchant for writing wonderfully hook-laden pop.

A leading light on the punk scene, the band eschewed the rough and ready sounds employed by so many of their contemporaries in favour of well arranged and produced tracks, with Harry's voice clear over the top of the instruments.  And what a voice is is too - listening to her, I can imagine she has that sexy half smile she is known for while singing.  What a wonderful picture that is too, although I imagine nothing like the Penthouse magazine pictures Mine mentions below, a magazine I couldn't get my hands on for love or money, damn it all.

VERDICT: TURN IT UP


MINE

"I couldn't resist you/ I'm not deaf, dumb and blind..."

My first view of Blondie came with this album, when the then-iconic Aussie TV show Countdown played In The Flesh - apparently in error as it was actually the B-side to their first single.  And I fell in love.  While not a real fan of blondes, Debbie Harry's cutting, sultry drawl and that pouty, Parisian look just knocked me over.  Although I didn't buy a Blondie album until Parallel Lines came out the following year, I picked up this CD a few years ago because I don't own In The Flesh.  And it's a great album. 

Ms Harry was also responsible for me buying Penthouse magazine, with many blushes, for the first time.  Because there was a huge 7-page interview and many photos of her, which I clipped out and stuck on my teenage bedroom walls.  Not sure what became of the rest of the magazine...

Blondie became a staple of my record collection, and the Greatest Hits is a poor substitute for the aforementioned Parallel Lines or Autoamerican.  *sigh* more for that damn shopping list, YourZ.  Wasn't the whole object of this exercise to throw music out (YourZ sez: look at it this way, hunnybuns - we're only improving on the collection, regardless of what we do).

VERDICT: TURN IT UP

In our collection, we also have The Complete Picture: The Very Best of Deborah Harry & Blondie

6 comments:

  1. Who doesn't like Blondie? My fav LP is actually Plastic Letters, the one before Parallel Lines for the ultimate mix of pure pop and CBGBs grunge.

    Listening to PL recently made me realise how raw it sounds now in comparison with today's technology. They were a real energy band and could blow your socks off with their enthusiasm yet people remember them as a relatively inoffensive pop act. Strange.

    Very few vocalists have the force of personality in their voice that Debbie Harry manages to conjure - you're right about that look - it just pervades her vocal like a knockout gas.

    And Clem Burke is one of my all-time favourite drummers - absolutley primal like a refined version of Keith Moon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree w/ Mr. obsessive. how can one not like Blondie. You both made the right choice. Now whats this about Florence and the machine.....I'm hearing buzz....please school me......seano

    ReplyDelete
  3. MO, I've not heard Plastic Letters so should give it go. I find it hard to believe a lot of folk think of Blondie as an 'inoffensive pop act'. It's the same as saying Ramones were a rock band - just doesn't cut it, does it?

    YourZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seano, we reviewed Florence & The Machine in April - check it out here: http://yourzenmine.blogspot.com/2010/04/florence-machine-lungs.html

    Incidentally, did you like the Sleepy Jackson CD?

    YourZ

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're playing here in a winery with The Pretenders. I like both bands but feel they'll be both well past their prime live but then again I just saw The Vibrators who were great live and definitely well past their prime age wise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris, they're doing the same tour here as well. I would hate to go see them and be disappointed. Given the ticket prices are about $120 each, it also makes it expensively risky.

    YourZ

    ReplyDelete