Sunday, June 27, 2010

Brassy - Got It Made

MINE

Blending their own form of hip-hop with some hard drumming and punchy guitar sounds?  This should be right up my alley, and indeed, it's my CD.  But it's one I bought because I liked the single - Work It Out - and the rest of it's left me a little disappointed.  Mostly because they use the same damn effect on the lead vocal all the time.  And while that scratchiness is kinda catchy when you hear it the first time, the gloss has definitely worn off the fifth or sixth time.

VERDICT: THROW IT OUT uh-huh


YOURZ

I have a confession to make (yes, another and I can tell you, it won't be the last either) - I loved this album when it first came out.  I thought Brassy were the shit and I particularly liked Muffin Spencer's pouty vocal/raps. That she is the sister of Jon Spencer (of Jon Spencer Blues Explosion) also counted greatly in her favour.

It wasn't until a few years later that a friend made the point that Brassy sound like the houseband for a teen television show.  The reality is while this album was a lot of fun when it first came out, it is actually pretty dumb (and not in a good way either) and very light on.  Over-use of similar breakdown patterns, cheesy drum machines and generally juvenality almost guaranteed this a very limited shelf life.  So what its still doing in our collection is anyone's guess.

VERDICT: THROW IT OUT



No comments:

Post a Comment