Monday, July 19, 2010

Enigma - MCMXC AD

MINE

OK, in my defence this is a "moment in time" CD.  It was on high rotation on a long weekend holiday I had with some friends (hi, Viv and Andy!) north of Sydney in the early 90s.  We drove for hours and ended up at a place where some friends were hoping to open a gay-friendly holiday experience.  It was warm, and we swam in the river, lazed in hammocks, and bent our minds with various substances.

At one stage, very late at night, I found myself completely alone in a large room, dancing to this album which was turned up very loud.  It's a moment I won't ever forget.  One of my best dancing moments, but of course surpassed by the Kangaroo Valley Michael Jackson/Billie Jean moment (hi, David!) when everybody in the room unexpectedly swayed to the song in a small knot, in silence.

Listening to Enigma today though, I realised I'm not likely to ever want to hear this CD again.  And I don't need to look at the album to remember that weekend.

VERDICT: THROW IT OUT


YOURZ

Oh, this is boring...

While there are many things I do like about electronic music, Enigma are everything I don't.  Washy pads and twee sounds coupled with disposable melodies and the sort of atmospherics you'd expect to find playing in a World Vision shop (not putting down the World Vision organisation, who do a lot of good work, mind you).

This is not offensive, nor is it inoffensive.  Its simply not anything.

Did I mention it was boring?  Oh, I did!  Good...

VERDICT: THROW IT OUT


For more information: http://www.enigmamusic.com/

5 comments:

  1. electronic music is designed to be played for people eating ecstacy like M&M's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm... I did say, we bent our minds with various substances. Probably added to the allure at the time! But I will say, if I ate E's like I ate M&Ms I'd be dead by now. Mmmmmmm M&Ms mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    Cheers
    Mine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ecstacy like M&Ms - is it wrong if I say I think that is a genius idea?

    YourZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother bought this. I think it's the only "modern rock" CD she's ever bought. She's one of those people who own records by The Seekers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris, now I feel like a grandma or something. And that's disturbing to a childless person!

    Mine

    ReplyDelete