Sunday, August 1, 2010

Built To Spill - Keep It Like A Secret

YOURZ

What a fucking awesome Forgotten Gem.  I can't figure out why it's sat in my collection for so long without being played, I really can't.  But I'm so pleased the pointy stick landed on it to remind me again.  And it's been so long since I heard Keep It Like A Secret, it's almost like I'm listening to it for the first time again.

I was turned on to this wonderful band by an old friend (g'day Ciaron, if you're reading, give us a call).  He made my day when he said this reminded him of the sort of songs I wrote.  I'd love to say I agree with him but it's hardly true.  Regardless, I was fairly chuffed with the comment.

For me, BTS plumb the spaces between The Grifters, Superchunk, Archers Of Loaf, Pavement and Sebadoh, with a little Grandaddy thrown into the mix as well.  I suppose all this could be gathered loosely under the heading 'Slacker Rock' but as we eschew labels here, lets just leave it at my first descriptive - 'fucking awesome'.  In researching this, I found out they are still putting out records and, in fact, their latest has been rated as good as this one.  *sigh* I guess we have another band to add to the list, Mine.

VERDICT: TURN IT UP


MINE

YourZ handed me this CD with the comment that he likes this band, but wasn't sure about me.  So I'll start right away with my criticisms.  That drummer sounds like he got a new set of cymbals for his birthday and just can't stop playing them.  And the vocals once or twice moved over into that whiny indie-pop inflection, which irritates me.  Just sing, don't complain!

OK, that's it.

Oh, how about what I liked about Built to Spill?  Everything else.  The melodies are happy and well-structured, the sound is multi-layered and beautifully produced, the songs are hummable and the standout song is track 8, You Were Right.  I'm looking forward to hearing it again.  1999, really?  I'm not surprised I haven't heard this before, because I was working for commercial radio at the time, and it would have passed me by.  It's a pity they weren't more popular here, this is an excellent CD.

VERDICT: TURN IT UP


For more information: http://www.builttospill.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment