Thursday, September 23, 2010

Birds Of Tokyo - Birds Of Tokyo


MINE


It's... interesting.  I mean, the tunes are good, and I have no complaints about the singing or the production or any of the other myriad things that can go wrong in putting an album together.  But it just doesn't appeal to me.

Much like you can put on an article of clothing when the cut, colour and fabric all look right, but you look in the mirror and you just don't... pop.  I like my music to make me pop, and this stuff, while I almost guarantee it'll go on to please audiences worldwide and sounds ideal for stadium shows, leaves me unmoved.

Frankly it's a bit MOR for my taste, although YourZ hotly debated this with me.


VERDICT: TURN IT DOWN

YOURZ

More proof that there is something about Perth that produces world-class bands and music.  Birds Of Tokyo are yet another example, featuring Ian Kenny, lead vocalist with another Perth act Karnivool (who we've previously reviewed here) and members of former Perth band Tragic Delicate.

More commercial and accessible than Karnivool, the Birds Of Tokyo make soaring, melodic rock, hinged around Kenny's incredible voice, quite possibly one of the best around at the moment (and not a hint of an auto-tuner anywhere).  This man could sing the phone book and it would sound great. 

This self-titled long player is their fourth album, released earlier this year, has already gained gold status in Australia, with the first two singles, The Saddest Thing I Know and Plans, becoming local hits.  But the album is full of great tracks, some reminiscent of Peter Gabriel, some more rock orientated but all highlighting the Birds great sense of melodic drama. And while they're not doing anything new or challenging, what they do, they do very well indeed.

VERDICT: TURN IT UP

For further information go to http://www.birdsoftokyo.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment