Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman


MINE

I fell through a hole and ended up in 1980.  Sitting in my friend Karen's back room with the gang (Hi, you guys! Still reading?) where we were allowed to smoke and drink endless cups of coffee.  And where this was one of the albums that had top billing on the turntable, along with Hotel California and an awful lot of reggae thanks to Karen's brother Murray.

I hadn't listened to this CD since we bought it on one of those "it's reduced so why don't we get some music" ventures to our favourite store.  Shareholders, if you're looking for the reason J B Hi-Fi keeps tripling its profits year on year, look no further.  But as soon as I put it on, I sang along all the way through.  I know every single one of these songs, back to front and inside out.  Maybe if you cut one of my ears off and held it up to your ear, you'd hear Wild World or Into White.  Maybe that's just gross.  Why do I think of these things?  (YourZ sez: I to could ask why but at least you keep things interesting).

I'm not going to go into the semantics of how a British-born singer with Greek and Swedish ancestry happened to convert to Islam.  But I will say I don't have the urge to buy anything he's produced since then.

VERDICT: TURN IT UP


YOURZ

I'm not a Cat Stevens fan.  There is something about his voice that has always annoyed me but I don't know what it is.  I feel the same way about Bob Dylan, even though both artists sound very different to each other.  But I can acknowledge Stevens is a great song writer.  However, like Dylan, I prefer the versions of songs when they're covered by others.

Maybe it is because a number of these songs were force-fed to me when I was a teenager while studying music when I much prefered KISS and Deep Purple to this.  What ever it is, it still makes me cringe a little.

VERDICT: TURN IT DOWN


For more information: http://catstevens.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment