Monday, November 29, 2010

Death From Above 1979 - You're A Woman, I'm A Machine

YOURZ

Oh, this record is going to make Mine gag.  But I love it.  It is dirty, noisy punk rock belted out by this Canadian two-piece, who have eschewed guitars in favour of fat, distorted and effected bass and pounding drums.  Unfortunately, the band imploded in a fit of spit and bad tempers sometime after releasing You're A Woman, I'm A Machine, their one and only long player.

While I note some similarities to favourites, Queens Of The Stoneage, who are masters of this dirty, fat rock, DFA1979 add their own twist to the formula by building great dance-punk grooves often accompanied by raging, distorted vocals.  On this album, their attack is relentless, with most tracks clocking in under the 3:00 minute mark and only serves to leave me wanting to more.

As a side note, I have to thank my good friend Chris, who passed away recently, for putting me on to this band.  Vale, my faraway friend.  You'll be missed.

VERDICT: TURN IT UP

MINE

Oh these guys.  YourZ has the t-shirt.  And while I kind of liked the first two songs - especially Romantic Rights  - it all got a bit same-y for me after a while.  But at least the songs were short!

VERDICT: TURN IT DOWN

For more information go to http://www.deathfromabove1979.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment