Monday, November 15, 2010

A Skillz And Krafty Kuts - Tricka Technology


YOURZ

Doing some research for this review, I discovered something quite surprising - there is very little information about this album or those behind it online.  This is, in equal parts, both refreshing and annoying.  It means all I have to write about is the music.  Given we're writing a music blog, this shouldn't be a big ask.  But I like to know what the band is about before writing about them.

There is the usual intro bits that don't do a single thing to advance the album at all.  I've been producing hip hop for nearly ten years now and I'm still wondering why so many artists do this.  Don't they realise in-jokes only work if everyone knows the joke.

But thankfully, they are saved by some great tracks.  I love the old school feel of Gimme The Breaks and Come Alive.  And if you like break beats, then there are some really cool tunes on here.  But my favourite  is Peaches, a cruisy, Gorillaz-type groove that drops a great sample in as the hook.

I'm trying to remember exactly what drew me to buying this album and, for the life of me, I can't remember why.  But I'm glad I did.  This will definitely be one for the next party.

VERDICT: TURN IT UP


MINE

Oh, tasty.  Hip-hop beats and decent dance and some funky grooves... this is mostly gorgeous.  There are a couple of more-shouty numbers, and the incessant namechecking is a bit annoying, as are those intro pieces that don't seem to have any real purpose.  But mostly its grand, as I'd expect from the Brits.  Sorry, but when it comes to the dance/hip-hop crossover, the UK beats the US hands down.

Best bits?  The title track was recognisable as well as bouncy, Peaches has party written all over it, and Roll Over Baby had me grooving in the car on the way to work.  One to pick apart for a party playlist, mos def.

VERDICT: TURN IT UP


No comments:

Post a Comment