Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Stone Roses - The Complete Stone Roses

MINE

20 years ago??? Really?  Wow, that's making me feel old.  I mean, I remember the son of a friend returning from the UK during the Madchester times, speaking wiv a Cock-er-nee accent and affecting the baggies - totally out of place in Sydney at the time, but you know how it is when you're young and think you're following a trend.

I don't think the Roses made too much of a splash here at all, really.  And while I love She Bangs the Drum and Fool's Gold, the rest of it sounds like a vaguely updated 60s party in Mayfair.  Not in a bad way, but just generally inoffensive.  Kind of nice.  Good for a dinner party.

PS Doesn't Ian Brown look more like a monkey every year? (YourZ sez: oh, doesn't he what!)

PPS Fool's Gold is well known in radio circles in the pre-digital age as the song DJs would put on when they wanted to spend, ahem, a little more than a penny. 4:15 - long enough for most!

VERDICT: TURN IT DOWN


YOURZ

Are The Stone Roses a guilty pleasure?  See, I'm not sure.  I remember liking their first album a lot, as did a lot of the people I knew back then.  But now it sounds kinda shit.

But I suppose it would have been fun to be living in a place like Manchester when the scene exploded, but I suppose the same thing about Seattle too.  Then I think about how fucking cold both those places generally.  Maybe this is why these scenes happened because the bands there were so desperate to make enough cash to go somewhere warm, even if only for a little while.

Hey, its a theory, okay?

I'm still partial to Fool's Gold and She Bangs The Drum, if only because these songs help define that time.  I found the rest of it a bit rubbish and more of a curiosity than of any real value.  Harsh maybe, but then, so would living in Manchester in the middle of winter.

VERDICT: THROW IT OUT but save those two songs.


For more information: http://www.thestoneroses20.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment