Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Paul Weller - Stanley Road


YOURZ

For those readers astute enough to notice this is the second Paul Weller album we're reviewing, well there is a reason.  Basically, we ran out of artists to review and decided we would pick five albums each from our collection that we would have liked to review.  Stanley Road is the first of these.

Way back in January this year, when we reviewed Mr Weller's Wildwood, I said I thought I'd find it hard that he could make a better album than it but I was prepared to be wrong.  Well, now is the time to admit it, I guess.  This album, with tracks like The Changing Man (a big live favourite), Woodcutter's Son, Pink On White Walls and the title track, is a modern classic.

But it is elevated to something more with track four, You Do Something To Me.  But I will let Mine wax about this track.  It, and the rest of the album, is so damn good, in the hands of anyone lesser, this would have been the peak, and possibly the end, of a career.  Thankfully, it only served to lift Paul to the status he now deserves.

Suffice to say...

VERDICT: TURN IT UP

MINE

This album is the only Paul Weller album you need if you're buying a solo Weller album.  It contains You Do Something To Me which is one of my favourite songs of all time, one I can listen to over and over again.  It's packed with great songs, and it's an album I'd be certain to replace if the collection ever went south.

But why is it so good?  It's the Modfather at his very best, singing with those husky-yet-strong tones that reduce me to jelly.  It's varied in mood, yet cohesive in tone.  It's a damn good album, and one of those I'd ask you - why don't you own it?  You won't regret it.

VERDICT: TURN IT UP

For more information go to: http://www.paulweller.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment